Domestic Workers in a Private Household visa

You can apply for a visa to visit the UK with your employer if you:

are a domestic worker in a private household
have worked for your employer for at least one year
are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
meet the other eligibility requirements
Domestic workers include:

those providing personal care for the employer and their family
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.

It costs £324 for a visa as a domestic worker in a private household.

How long you can stay
You can use this visa to visit the UK with your employer for up to 6 months.

You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner.

What you can and can’t do
You can:

stay in the UK if your employer takes a short trip to another country during the visit
travel abroad and return to the UK to complete your stay, though you must prove you still work for your employer, eg a letter from them
You can’t:

change your employer while you’re in the UK
change your job for your employer
live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
bring in family members (‘dependants’) – they must apply separately
switch to another type of visa from this visa
get public funds


You must prove that you:

are between 18 and 65 years old
have worked for your employer for at least 1 year
work in the same household as your employer or one they use regularly
plan to travel to the UK with your employer, their partner or children
intend to work as a full-time domestic worker in a UK household your employer will live in
plan to leave the UK at the end of 6 months or at the same time as your employer, whichever is sooner
are able to support yourself in the UK without the need for public funds
Your employer
Your employer must be either a:

British or European Economic Area (EEA) national who usually lives outside the UK and who doesn’t intend to remain in the UK for more than six months
foreign national who is coming to the UK on a visit and who doesn’t intend to remain for more than 6 months
Your employer must also pay you at least the national minimum wage.

You could lose your visa if your employer breaks any immigration laws while in the UK.