Permitted Paid Engagement visa

You can apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement visa if you:

want to come to the UK to do specific paid work without having to be sponsored under the points-based visa system
are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
meet the other eligibility requirements
You may not need to apply for a visa if you’re from a certain country – check if you need this visa before you apply.

How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

You can check the guide processing times to see how long getting a visa might take in your country.

A Permitted Paid Engagement visa costs £85.

How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month.

What you can and can’t do
You can:

be a student examiner or assessor
take part in selection panels for the education, arts or research organisation you’re invited by as a highly qualified academic
give lectures at a higher education institution, as long as it’s not a part-time or full-time role
examine UK-based pilots so they meet the standards of the country you come from, by invitation of an approved UK training organisation regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority
provide advocacy in a particular area of law
take part in arts, entertainment or sporting activities including broadcasting
take part in fashion modelling assignments
do minor activities related to your work or business overseas, eg meetings
You can’t:

do specific paid work unrelated to your main job or area of expertise at home or sell merchandise, other than what’s allowed by your visa
extend this visa or switch to another visa
live in the UK for extended periods
get public funds
study – except for 30 days of incidental study
marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application – they must apply separately

You must prove that you:

are 18 or over
are visiting the UK for no more than 1 month
will leave the UK at the end of your visit
have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself
can pay for your return or onward journey
are not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

Documents you must provide
When you apply you must provide:

a current passport or other valid travel identification
1 passport-sized colour photograph
proof that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
a formal invitation from the organisation or authority you’ll be paid by
proof that the paid engagement relates to your expertise, qualifications and main job in your home country, eg a letter from your employer
You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

Additional documents
You must provide extra documents if you’re an established arts, entertainment or sporting professional. You can provide any of the following:

publicity material
proof of awards
media coverage and reviews
proof of recent performances
You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

Read the guide for a full list of documents you can provide.

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.