Short-term study visa

You can apply for a Short-term study visa if:

you’re doing a short course of study in the UK
you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
you meet the other eligibility requirements
You need a Standard Visitor visa if you’re an academic visitor.

You can’t apply if you qualify for British citizenship – including if you can have dual nationality. You must apply for British citizenship instead.

What you can and can’t do
You can:

do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course
do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad
You can’t:

study at a state school
work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
extend this visa
bring family members (‘dependants’) with you – they must apply separately
get public funds
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for:

6 months – for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
11 months – if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course
It costs:

£85 for a 6 month visa
£162 for an 11 month visa
How long it takes
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.

You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.


You must apply online for a Short-term study visa – you’ll need to select ‘visit’ and then:

special – student visit visa if you’re over 18 years old
special – child visit visa if you’re under 18 years old
You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in – check with your visa application centre.